Our Mission

Our mission: To visit all 55 piers around England and Wales in under 3 weeks......

Tuesday 28 July 2015

20 down 35 to go....

On our second day on the Isle of Wight we enjoyed the luxury of another lie-in before heading to Sandown for the 19th pier of our epic journey. We've had many holidays on the IOW before and used to stay in the Ocean Hotel that stands on Sandown seafront. It's still there which is more than you can say for a lot of shops on the high street and like Ryde it looks a seaside resort in decline. Such a shame....



The pier is also still there which is a good thing as it would have been hard to take our photo without it. After a bit of breakfast in the pier cafĂ© and a few 2p's in the arcade machines we headed to the indoor crazy golf for a rematch. After a close fought battle through 10 holes it all came down to the final par 2 hole. I held a slender 1 shot lead over Sam and after she parred it I needed to hole a tricky 4 foot putt with my back swing seriously hampered by a wall. I held my nerve to hole the putt and reclaim my crazy golf crown. What a relief, although it was to be shortlived....

Our next port of call was Shanklin to find a launderette and then onto the esplanade to see what was there. To our surprise we found a bustling seafront with a very nice, new pirate adventure park that included a crazy golf course (Dylan really loves crazy golf). Sam reluctantly agreed to play again(!) and teed off. Now I have to say that this was one of the best courses we've ever played with challenging holes and an excellent design with waterfalls, ships, pirates and caves. I was so taken by the surroundings I failed to notice that I was losing and by the time we got to the 18th I was 2 shots behind Sam and Dylan. We all shot the same score on the last meaning they tied and I finished 3rd (or last as some people would call it).

We then had a quick kickabout in the park before heading back to Cowes to catch our ferry. It was an uneventful trip back and we docked bang on time. We took our selfie at pier number 20, Southampton, or what was left of it. The actual pier itself is derelict and due for demolition but the pier head building is still standing as a Thai restaurant.


.

And that was it. Another day dusted and another 2 piers ticked off the list

No comments:

Post a Comment